This blog post is part of the Sponge Chats video series.
If EFL Creative Ideas isn’t on your go-to list for lesson plans and ideas, then it should be. It is full of amazing lesson plans, complete with materials and teacher’s notes. And the mind behind these lovely resources? None other than Silvina Mascitti!
I was lucky enough to sit down for an hour with Silvina to discuss her motivations for moving into materials writing, her inspirations, challenges she is currently facing, and her aspirations. Her experience is unique amongst the Sponge Chats that I’ve done so far as she is very much just getting into materials writing, and as such her experience is something that I feel many of us can relate to.
In the Sponge Chat, Silvina also spoke about her experience on two well-known materials writing courses: The NILE materials development for language teaching module and John Hughes/Oxford University course on materials writing. Make sure to check out the Sponge Chat to listen to her thoughts 🙂
And, as usual, there were book recommendations. And I think Silvina broke the record for the number of book recommendations in one Sponge Chat! Here they are:
- The ELT Teacher2Writer series – Seriously people, if you’re looking to move into materials writing, this series should be your first place to look. Every materials writer on Sponge Chats has recommended them! You can check out my Sponge Chat with two of the ELT Teacher2Writer editorial team, Sue Kay and Karen Spiller here.
- ETPedia Materials Writing – Clandfield and Hughes
- Design for how people learn – Dirksen
- Critical Thinking in ELT – Hughes and Dummett
- Teaching Lexically – Dellar and Walkley
- Teaching Unplugged – Meddings and Thornbury
- Teaching English as a Lingua Franca – Kiczkowiak and Lowe
- Activities for Task-Based Learning – Anderson and McCutcheon (you can also read my review of this book here!)
- A Handbook of Spoken Grammar – Caygill, Paterson and Sewell
- How to reduce your time preparing online classes – Glazunova
And blogs that were recommended by Silvina:
- Pete Clement’s ELT Planning (a powerhouse in the ELT world!)
- Katherine Bilsborough’s amazing Creating ELT Materials
- John Hughes’ YouTube channel
- Miguel Miguez’s On the Same page ELT and blog